Zanddrift Farm

Jacobus Botha who acquired grazing rights for Zanddrift was one of the four local burghers to serve on the Drostdy board of heemraden when the district was established in 1743. In 1769 Botha transferred the property to his daughter Elsje and little is known of the history of Zanddrift between Elsje’s occupancy and the first recorded title deed to the property in 1848.

swellendam_mountainsThe nineteenth and twentieth century history of Zanddrift reflects the new owner Van Zyl whose occupancy after 1847 changed and modified the building. The farmland remains the property of the Van Zyl descendants.