Drostdy

Drostdy

The Drostdy was built by the Dutch East India Company in 1747 to serve as residence and official headquarters for the Landdrost. Soon after a gaol, a house for the secretary, a mill and various outbuildings were erected.

Read More

The Old Goal

The Old Goal

The gaol was built shortly after the Drostdy and was originally a simple, long building with lean-to cells at the rear. By 1790 the gaol was enlarged and again in 1813. A courtyard was formed by linking the two rear cell wings with a high wall and securing it by embedding glass fragments along its ridge.

Read More

The Ambagswerf

The Ambagswerf

Ambagswerf means trade yard. The trades represented here were practiced in Swellendam in the early years of white settlement. It was here that provisions were purchased and repairs to wagons and other equipment were made.

Read More