More About Our Museum
The Drostdy was built by the Dutch East India Company in 1747 to serve as residence and official headquarters for the Landdrost. Soon after a gaol, a house for the secretary, a mill and various outbuildings were erected.
The first Landdrost to be appointed to this district was Johannes Theophilus Rhenius and he was assisted by a board of burger heemraden and subordinates like secretary and a gaoler as well as many slaves. From 1827 the Drostdy was occupied by the civil commissioner who, with the resident magistrate, replaced the board of Landdrost and heemraden when they were abolished by the British colonial government.
In 1846 the government sold the Drostdy and the property was subdivided. In 1855 the former Drostdy was bought by the Steyn family and it remained in the hands of this family until 1939 when it was bought by the government of the Union of South Africa for the purpose of establishing a museum.Read More
November 15, 2013 |
The Drostdy Museum Complex also houses two top restaurants. 1. Field and Fork In the Old Gaol Complex Tel: 0285143430 Open in the evenings mainly from 18:00 but in summer they serve light lunches from 12:00 to 14:00 2. Drostdy Restaurant In the Zanddrift building Tel: 0285143825 Open daily from 10:00 till late except...
October 4, 2013 |
New Exhibition – Mr. Nelson Mandela and Arch. Desmond Tutu The Drostdy Museum also houses exhibitions of two black South African Icons namely President Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Both are African and world Icons, both received the Nobel Peace Prize and both were awarded the Honorary Citizenship of...